There are a lot of websites that steal their content from other websites and publish them without asking for any permission. This process is done by copying or right-clicking on your website. If you are a website owner and would like to prevent your content from being copied, we recommend disabling copy and right-click buttons from posts and pages.
Another way of copying a website content is by using hotkeys like Ctrl+V, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+A, etc. In this article, we would like to discuss disabling copy and right-click in WordPress.
- How to Disable Mouse Right-Click?
- How to Disable Copy and Paste?
- How to Disable Copying Hotkeys?
- Best WordPress Plugins for Disabling Copy and Right-Click
- 1. Content Protector Pro
- 2. WP Content Copy Protection & No Right Click
- 3. WP Content Copy Protection
- 4. Secure Copy Content Protection
- 5. WP Content Copy Protection with Color Design
How to Disable Mouse Right-Click?
By disabling mouse right-click, you prevent visitors from selecting and copying your content. By using the code below, you can disable mouse right-click in WordPress.
First, use the following jQuery library:
Then, add the following codes:
If you want to disable mouse right-click for a specific section of a web page, you have to use a selector like #id, .class, etc.
Otherwise, to disable mouse right-click on an entire page, use body selector.
How to Disable Copy and Paste?
Disabling cut, copy and paste can also be done for a specific section or an entire web page. By using the following code, you can prevent visitors from copying your content:
How to Disable Copying Hotkeys?
As you probably know, there a lot of hotkeys in different operating systems that would simplify a process. For example, Ctrl+A to select all in a document, Ctrl+S to save a document, Ctrl+X to cut a selected text, Ctrl+C to copy an item or text, Ctrl+V to paste the copied item or text.
To disable these hotkeys, use the following code:
Best WordPress Plugins for Disabling Copy and Right-Click
In another article, we explained how to prevent website images from being copied. However, we would briefly introduce the top plugins to disable copy and right-click function on WordPress.
The most complete package to protect your website content is Content Protector Pro designed and developed by Better Studio. This plugin comes with a lot of features to protect the content of your website including images, texts, source code, etc.
Keep in mind, this is a premium plugin. However, by purchasing the Publisher WordPress theme, you get access to this plugin for free. The publisher is available in four packages; the starter package starts at $44 and it goes up to $399.
- From WordPress Dashboard click on Publisher.
- Choose Plugins.
- Search for Content Protector Pack.
- Download and activate it.
Then, hover over Better Studio and click on Content Protector.
In the configuration tab, click on Text Protection and configure it. Below, we will explain each of them.
- This option indicates whether you would like to allow users to copy or not. It comes with three modes, Allow to everyone, Disable for everyone and Allow but append custom text at the end.
- This option enables or disables the right-click for users.
- The third option allows users to right-click or internal links or not.
- This option is self-explanatory, it sends a customized message to those who try to right-click on your website.
- The fifth option allows users to select texts or not.
- The sixth option allows users to copy or cut texts.
- Disables Windows hotkeys.
- Disables Mac hotkeys.
Finally, make sure to click on save changes on the top right corner.
The next plugin that helps to disable copy and right-click is WP Content Copy Protection. This plugin can be downloaded either from the official WordPress website or directly from the dashboard itself. WP Content has over 100,000 active installations and considered to be one of the best plugins to prevent images and text from being copied.
By using this plugin your website is safe and protected from visitors or competitors wanting to copy your content. In addition, it disables the right-click function from your website and if a user tries to do so, they will receive a message telling them the function has been disabled. Besides, all hotkeys like Ctrl+S, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+A, and Ctrl+V will be disabled.
WP Content Copy Protection plugin is available in both free and premium versions and the premium version unlocks more features for you. Some of the premium features it unlocks are:
- Adding watermark to images
- Using htaccess rules
- Compatible with mobile devices
- Compatible with most plugins and themes
- Ability to disable protection for admins
WP Content Copy Protection is a great WordPress plugin to protect your online content and prevent visitors from copying them. As mentioned above, the simplest way to copy texts or images is by selecting and right-clicking on them. By using this plugin, you can prevent the content of your website from being copied.
WP Content Copy Protection offers many features, some of them are disabling copy and right-click, disabling image URL, blocking source code, and disabling hotkeys.
This plugin is available in both free and premium versions and as always, the premium version unlocks more features for you. Some of them are:
- Compatible with gallery plugins
- Ability to remove feeds
- Compatible with most browsers and themes
- Compatible with WooCommerce
- Ability to disable protection for admins
Secure Copy Content Protection is another plugin that would protect your website’s content from being copied. As soon as you download this plugin from the WordPress Dashboard or official WordPress website, you can start using it without any issues. Secure Copy Content Protection disables right-click, hotkeys, and selecting texts.
This plugin is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. In addition, it works perfectly well with Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and IE.
Secure Copy Content Protection is available in both free and premium versions and other than the features mentioned above, it offers the following as well:
- Ability to block based on IP
- Ability to block based on Country
- Ability to block front-end and back-end
- Ability to password protect a content
- Ability to protect content based on post-type
The last plugin on our list is WP Content Copy Protection with Color Design that disables right-click on your website. Much like other plugins introduced on our list, WP Content Copy also prevents visitors from copying your content.
It protects your website’s posts and web pages and whenever a user tries to right-click on a page you have disabled right-click he/she will receive a warning. In addition, all the hotkeys are disabled by the plugin and users won’t be able to cheat the system and use them to copy your content.
Furthermore, it disables print screen and with its filter system, you can choose which posts or web pages you want to protect.
In this article, we talked about disabling copy and right-click with both codes and plugins. The codes mentioned can be used for both WordPress websites and websites built with other platforms. However, the plugins are specifically designed to work with WordPress.