Almost every website communicates and sends important information to its users through email. Although sending and receiving emails for websites that use WordPress can be difficult at times.
If your website fails to send emails, your users won’t be able to use some of your key features (like sending a reset password link). If you are facing this issue you can change your password through phpMyAdmin. However, you can use an SMTP plugin to fix this issue once and for all.
SMTP is short for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and it allows you to send your emails and transfer your desired information. Using SMTP increases your email security and your emails won’t be recognized as spam in Gmail or any other free email service.
It’s a good idea to invest in a verified SMTP plugin for your WordPress website. SMTP’s name could be scary for some but actually using it is very simple and installing its plugin simplifies the whole process. If you still don’t know how to install a plugin, see our other post.
By default, every email service uses this protocol and big companies like Google and Microsoft use this protocol to send emails.
Why do we need to use the SMTP plugin?
By default, when you are using WordPress your hosting provider is in charge of sending your emails.
You may use another plugin to send out your emails (like Ninja Forms) but ultimately, your hosting provider is in charge to send your emails. Thus, if you are getting any type of errors while sending emails, you should check with your hosting provider.
SMTP plugins are good replacements for your hosting provider. SMTP plugins take care of sending and receiving emails and replace your hosting provider in that matter. It’s as if you have left your email server to an expert.
In this article, we will talk about the best SMTP plugins for WordPress you can find out there.
Best SMTP plugins for WordPress
There are many plugins that can add SMTP mail services to your WordPress website. Here we have chosen 5 of the best SMTP plugins for WordPress.
Postman SMTP focuses on security, simplifying the process and building trust. This plugin even works on servers that have blocked SMTP ports. In addition, it supports OAuth 2.0 which adds extra security.
Postman SMTP tries to be more than a plugin that sends an email and OAuth 2.0 helps it to achieve just that.
Postman SMTP is regularly updated and as you are reading this article, it has over 80 thousand downloads and active users. Some of the key features of this plugin are:
- Testing and identifying any connectivity issues
- Wizard configuration to fix any issues
- Resending an email to identify the real problem
- 24/7 support team along with lots of security layers
- API compatibility with other services
- User-friendly configuration
- Supports OAuth 2.0, SMTP, Gmail, Mandril, and SendGrid
- Supports HTML and international alphabet
Mail SMTP Gateway plugin is an easy solution to fix your WordPress email gateway. This plugin supports SMTP integration and SMTP mailer integration. You can create multiple SMTP gateways and switch to either of them. This plugin offers many features, such as:
- Supports SSL and TSL
- Blocks PHP email in WordPress
- Supports multiple SMTP profiles
- High security
- It allows you to test SMTP and server connectivity
WP Mail Bank is one of the best plugins to send emails in WordPress, designed by Tech-Banker. Tech-Banker is an Indian company that designs WordPress plugins. This plugin is customizable and offers some great features.
WP Mail Bank has over 40 thousand downloads and active users and it is updated regularly. Some of the key features of this plugin are:
- Simple structures that support most emails
- Connectivity test to ensure its configured correctly
- Can customize PHP in SMTP server and change mailer
- You can sort your inbox based on date, month and year
- You can bring up past emails with a simple click
- You can manage your emails and preview them before sending them
If you are using Gmail on a regular basis and you want to continuously use it, Gmail SMTP plugin is the best choice for you. This plugin is compatible with Gmail service and offers unique features.
Gmail SMTP focuses on your website’s security which always is an important factor for WordPress users. Gmail SMTP has over 5000 active users and it is updated regularly. Some of the key features of Gmail SMTP are:
- Works perfectly with Gmail servers
- Uses OAuth 2.0 protocol to increase your website’s security
- Easy installation and configuration
- Supports SSL and TSL
Easy WP SMTP is designed to prevent your emails from landing in the spam folder. This plugin is developed by WP eCommerce and it’s offered for free to WordPress users. With regular updates, this plugin is slowly becoming popular.
With Easy WP SMTP, you can use Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail SMTP servers. Of course, before using their servers you need to have an account with them. Some of the key features of this plugin are:
- Easy installation
- Sending an email with a quick SMTP server
- Precise guidelines and 24/7 support
- The configuration that shows you if your email has been sent successfully or not
- It allows you to manage your outgoing email settings
- High security
- The ability to identify replies
Having an SMTP plugin can be very useful for your WordPress website. These plugins can easily fix your connectivity issues. SMTP also allows its users to download their emails which is stored on a secure server. So if you are unhappy with the email server WordPress has provided, you can download and install one of the SMTP plugins for WordPress.